1. Information for Current Graduate Students in the Department of Mathematics
Mathematics PhD students who do not already hold a Masters degree are encouraged to earn an MS on the way to the PhD. See the Associate Director of Graduate Studies (Karen Mortensen; firstname.lastname@example.org) for procedures.
2. Information for Current PhD Students in Other Departments
This information is intended for students who are:
- currently enrolled at the University of Illinois in a PhD program in a department other than Mathematics and
- are interested in pursuing a Master's degree in Mathematics in addition to the PhD degree in their home department.
To qualify for a Master's degree in Mathematics:
- Please submit this form to the Department of Mathematics.
- You have to be enrolled as a Mathematics graduate student for at least one semester or a summer session. This can be done at any time during your studies. In order to transfer from your home department to the Mathematics department you have to submit a Graduate Student Request Form; you do NOT have to go through the online application process. The request must be approved by both your home department and by the Department of Mathematics. Please contact the Mathematics Graduate Office (267 Altgeld Hall, email@example.com) for assistance.
- If you currently hold an assistantship position or other financial support in your home department and are concerned about transferring, contact the graduate office in your home department. Most programs will continue your support.
- You have to complete 32 credit hours of course work as outlined in the Guide for Graduate Students in Mathematics. These 32 credit hours used towards the fulfillment of the Mathematics Master's degree cannot be used towards any other degree. However, courses you have taken while enrolled in a department other than mathematics can be counted towards the degree in mathematics as long as they are not needed for any other degree.
- Otherwise the same general regulations apply as outlined in the Guide for Graduate Students in Mathematics.
- Master's degrees are awarded in May, August and December. Please contact the Mathematics Graduate Office at least three months prior to your planned graduation date. You must also apply for the degree online through Enterprise.
3. Information for Current Graduate Students at UI who wish to transfer to an MS program in Mathematics
This information is for UI graduate students who wish to transfer to Mathematics or who wish to pursue a degree in Mathematics following completion of another graduate program.
- Admission to the MS programs in Mathematics is competitive. Please submit the following documents to the Graduate Office in Mathematics (firstname.lastname@example.org; 267 Altgeld Hall) by the deadline for applications.
- A personal statement.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Your CV or resume.
- Undergraduate transcripts and any graduate transcripts outside of University of Illinois.
- Your UI academic record and test scores which have been submitted to UI are accessible through University records; you do not need to submit these again.
- You do not need to submit a new online application to the Graduate College. If you are admitted to an MS program in the Mathematics Department, you will change curriculum using a Graduate Student Request Form instead.
- International students should consult ISSS about visa issues. If you change programs, ISSS may also need a new verification of financial resources.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Mathematics Graduate Office (267 Altgeld Hall, 333-5749) or the Associate Director of Graduate Studies, Karen Mortensen, email@example.com.