All incoming first year students to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are required to take the ALEKS PPL Math Assessment Exam. New transfer students who intend to enroll in a mathematics course at Illinois at the Calculus I level or below are required to take the ALEKS PPL Math Assessment Exam.
When you are ready to take the test, use the link below.
Please note that the average completion time is 90 minutes, though your time may be longer or shorter, so plan accordingly. The length of the exam is approximately 30 questions. Paper and pencil will be helpful. A calculator will be provided by ALEKS PPL when needed, thus you should not use your own. ALEKS PPL is a fully automated, adaptive system that covers a broad spectrum of pre-calculus material.
ALEKS PPL Rules and Information
- You have 3 hours to complete the assessment exam.
- You must complete the assessment exam within 24 hours of starting.
- There is a 24 hour cooling off period between placement assessments.
- All students must engage in a minimum of 5 hours in the learning module between each assessment after the second assessment.
- Incoming students may take up to 3 assessments for fall semester course enrollment and up to 2 assessments for spring semester enrollment.
- ALEKS PPL includes assessment exams and access to the learning module in a 12 month period.
- ALEKS PPL test scores expire four months after the date they are obtained.
ALEKS PPL Expectations
- Be Honest.
- Complete the exam on your own.
- Do not use books, other materials, the Internet, or consult with anyone during the exam.
- A dishonest score will misrepresent your mathematical background and significantly decrease your chances of success.
Keep your eye on the goal: to prepare yourself for your courses at the University of Illinois.
Remember that placement in a course does not guarantee success.