- 2022-23 Activity Report Template: LaTeX
- 2022-23 Inventory of best practices form
- Faculty Activity Report submission form
The Executive Committee requests that you update your activity file in preparation for the annual review. The deadline to submit your information for AY 2022–2023 is Monday, April 3.
The annual review of activity reports by the Executive Committee is part of the mandated activities of the department. The review is the basis for decisions concerning raises and research-based teaching reductions for tenure-stream faculty. Tenure-stream faculty are guaranteed a 2+1 teaching load if any of the following conditions hold at the time you file your annual report:
- The Department has already agreed that you will have this load.
- During the next academic year you will have a non-tenured tenure-track appointment in our department.
What to Include in Your Report
For your activity file, please provide an activity report and a CV with a list of publications. You are welcome to provide additional materials. We encourage you to use the standard LaTeX template for your activity report.
Be sure to provide whatever information you want the Executive Committee to consider. The EC reserves the right to allocate a 0% raise for individuals who do not submit an activity report.
As in prior years, the EC scores annual reports on a 6-point scale, with 3 points assigned for Research (R), 2 points assigned for Teaching (T) (further subdivided into Teaching: Classroom Instruction and Teaching: Mentoring), and 1 point assigned for Service (S).
Reporting the Teaching Component
Faculty are free to document their classroom instruction via several methods. These methods are not mutually exclusive.
- The first option is to provide ICES teaching data as in past years. Each faculty member should indicate explicitly whether or not they wish to provide ICES data for the annual review.
- A second option is to fill out an inventory of best practices for instruction. Faculty who are interested in having their teaching evaluated according to this method should complete the inventory using the online webform referenced in the LaTeX template. Please note that not all inventory questions may be relevant for all courses taught. The inventory provides numerous opportunities for additional comments or clarification, or other information about teaching. Instructors are welcome to fill out the inventory separately for each course which they have taught. In view of the extraordinary adjustments to teaching methods made necessary by the COVID pandemic, the EC strongly encourages the use of the self-inventory of best practices for instruction. The inventory, which has been used in past years, has been updated and modified to include questions specifically addressing the impact of COVID-19 on teaching.
Providing ICES data and completing this inventory are two separate methods for documenting teaching effectiveness; faculty may use either or both methods. The EC will determine the Teaching: Classroom Instruction component of the R+S+T score using the higher score provided by these two methods.
Finally, any faculty member who does not wish to have their teaching evaluated by either of these two options is welcome to explain their reasoning and provide their own documentation of teaching effectiveness. Please note that the EC will not visit individual faculty members' classes as part of the annual review process.
2022-2023 COVID-19 Addendum
The EC recognizes the extraordinary and unprecedented impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on all aspects of professional activity. Course instructional delivery has been modified drastically, research conferences and workshops have been canceled, postponed, or conducted virtually, and unexpected family obligations due to COVID-related shutdowns have impacted productivity. The EC will take the impact of COVID-19 into account when evaluating scholarly activity in the 2022-2023 annual review. This year’s LaTeX template includes a special section where faculty may explicitly describe impacts of COVID-19 on their professional activity during the past years.
Outcomes of Faculty Activity Reports
In the event that the College authorizes a merit raise program this year following the procedures as in the past, the College will reserve a portion of the raise pool for special merit increases. The annual review process will provide the foundation for the selection of a number of colleagues on the basis of outstanding merit or serious inequity to be recommended to the College for special raises.
The success and fairness of this exercise depend greatly on the information provided to the Executive Committee by faculty. Please help us properly to assess your accomplishments by bringing your activity file up to date in a timely fashion.
Submitting Activity Reports
Please a single PDF file containing your entire activity report and submit it via the submission form.
Updating a Submission
Upon successfully submitting your activity report, you will receive an email confirming your submission. You may access and modify your submission via either a link contained in the confirmation email, or by visiting the submission form. Updates will be permitted until the submission deadline.