The Chalkboard is a weekly email bulletin with brief summaries of announcements of general interest to faculty and staff members of the Department of Mathematics at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Chalkboard is sent via email each Monday of the academic year at 6:00 a.m. Emails will contain a list of department-related events happening throughout the week and may contain important notices or updates from the following mathematics offices:
- Department Chair, Associate Chair(s), the executive committee
- Undergraduate Office
- Graduate Office
- Communications Office
- Business Office
- Math IT
- Human Resources
How to Submit to The Chalkboard
A requestor may submit an item to the bulletin in one of two ways:
- Submit an event to the department calendar
- Send an email containing title and blurb for a non-emergency notice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full consideration, all calendar events and notices must be submitted by noon the previous Friday. Items not submitted by this deadline are not guaranteed to be featured in the Chalkboard.
When an observed holiday falls on a Friday, the deadline will be noon on the last day of business for that given week.
All events that appear on the department calendar will be featured in the Chalkboard. Events may be submitted to the calendar by completing this form. Once an event is approved and appears on the calendar, it will also be approved to be featured in The Chalkboard.
Mathematics staff officers should submit any non-emergency notices for faculty and staff to The Chalkboard. More urgent notices may be sent out as needed, but they must be sent by the originator and will not be routed through the communications office. To submit notices, faculty and staff may submit notices to post in The Chalkboard by supplying the following information to email@example.com:
- Title or headline for the notice
- Brief blurb associated with the blurb (max 150 words)
A notice must be an official announcement sponsored by an office or committee within the Department of Mathematics. Personal, commercial, and other non-university postings are not appropriate. With the exception of official campus charitable fundraising drives, notices aimed at fundraising or revenue-generating matters are generally not appropriate.
Other rules apply:
- The Chalkboard is a supplementary marketing and communications tool, not a replacement for the department calendar. It's not an appropriate medium for routine publicity for common campus events, performances, athletic events, etc.
- Unless prior approval has been obtained from department communications staff, a notice should appear in only one Chalkboard mailing.
- Blurbs for notices must not exceed 150 words.
- The editors reserve the right to clarify or edit announcements.
Those submitting items for publication in The Chalkboard should remember that their event or program must be accessible to those with disabilities.
Email Client & Browser Support
Emails are delivered with HTML formatting. Standard email clients that fully support HTML will work properly such as Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo.
Users may subscribe by clicking on the subscribe link at the bottom of The Chalkboard (forwarded to them by someone). Users may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of The Chalkboard.