University of Illinois Mathematics alumni have made significant contributions through outstanding professional achievement in academia, research, and industry. Each year, the Department of Mathematics recognizes exceptional alumni. The application process is simple and open to all. We encourage you to nominate someone you know for this honor.
Outstanding Achievement Award
The Alumni Achievement Award is given to alumni who, by outstanding achievement, have demonstrated the value derived from a mathematics education (BS, MS, or PhD). Nominees may qualify for outstanding professional achievement; cumulative performance through the years; or recent acknowledgement by community or professional peers.
Outstanding Recent Alumni Award
The Outstanding Recent Alumni Award is given to alumni for outstanding or noteworthy professional achievement. The recipient must have received a University of Illinois Mathematics degree (BS, MS, or PhD) within the past 10 years.
Alumni Humanitarian Award
The Alumni Humanitarian Award is given to alumni who, through outstanding leadership or service, demonstrate the values derived from a mathematics education by significantly improving or enhancing the lives of others.
Actuarial Science Alumni of the Year Award
The Actuarial Science Program's Alumni of the Year Award is given to alumni who have made outstanding contributions in one or more of the following ways:
- Exceptional accomplishment in the actuarial profession.
- Exceptional accomplishment in non-traditional areas of actuarial practice.
- Exceptional service in local, state or national affairs.
- Exceptional service in support of the advancement and continued excellence of the Illinois Actuarial Science Program.
Any interested person may submit a nomination for an Alumni Award, which are reviewed by the Department of Mathematics Alumni Awards Committee. Because evaluations are based solely on the information submitted, nominators will want to take care to ensure that the material adequately describes the nominee's qualifications. The Alumni Awards Committee acts as impartial evaluator and does not participate in the awards nomination process. The awards are given at the discretion of the Alumni Awards Committee and the Department of Mathematics and are not necessarily awarded every year. The Awards Committee maintains complete confidentiality of the nomination, which continues under active consideration for a period of three years. The awards presentation ceremony for 2020 will be held April 14 on campus. Recipients are expected to attend the award ceremony.
All nominations should include:
1. Name, address, degree(s)/year received from University of Illinois, and career path
2. A biographical sketch in the form of a resume or curriculum vitae and/or a written description of the nominee's work and service that includes the recipient’s achievement or significant accomplishments
3. Two supporting letters from individuals familiar with the nominee
4. Other supporting documentation that will help the Alumni Awards Committee evaluate the singularity of achievement
If unable to provide any of the above information, please state why when filling in the nomination form online.
Deadline for nominations: November 1, 2019
Submit your nomination and all supporting materials online at:
or submit your nomination by mail/email to:
Mathematics Alumni Award Committee
c/o Peggy Currid, 273 Altgeld Hall
Department of Mathematics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1409 W. Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Questions should be directed to the mathematics alumni award coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org; (217)333-3410.