Upcoming Conferences and Events
- Illinois Reception at Joint Math Meetings, January 8, 2016
In the News
Department members receive Campus and LAS Awards
The Department of Mathematics is proud to announce that six members of the department will receive Campus and LAS awards this past spring:
- Rick Gorvett, Campus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising
- Hal Schenck, LAS Dean’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Elyse Yeager, Campus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching by Graduate Teaching Assistants and the LAS Lynn Martin Award for Distinguished Women Teachers
- Thomas Mahoney, LAS Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching by Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Kay Daly, LAS Staff Award
- Tony Mullen, LAS Academic Professional Award
Jockusch and Rezk named 2015 AMS Fellows
The Department is pleased to announce that Professor Emeritus Carl Jockusch and Professor Charles Rezk have been selected to the 2015 class of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society (AMS). Jockusch was cited for his contributions to logic, computability theory, and Turing structures. Rezk was cited for his contributions to theoretical and computational aspects of algebraic topology and homotopy theory. The AMS Fellows program recognizes AMS members for outstanding contributions to the creation, exposition, advancement, communication, and utilization of mathematics. Read more about AMS Fellows.
Five math department achievements were recognized on the U of I LAS "Gallery of Excellence" in celebration of the College's 100th' anniversary. The math department honorees include the Four Color Theorem and four outstanding scholars, David Blackwell, Joseph Doob, Freeman Hrabowski, and Michio Suzuki. See LAS Gallery of Excellence for more information.
Read more news about the Department of Mathematics in the Math Times.
All new freshmen coming to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. All new transfer students who do not already have credit for Calculus I (or a higher level math course) are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. Information about the ALEKS Math Placement Exam is available on the Department of Mathematics website.