Derek J Jung
I am a fourth-year Ph.D. student in Mathematics and my advisor is Jeremy Tyson. I graduated from UCLA with a B.S. in Mathematics in the class of 2014. In my free time, I enjoy watching Golden State Warriors games, cooking, and going to the gym.
- sub-Riemannian geometry
- geometric analysis
I view model filiform groups, such as the first Heisenberg group and Engel group, as Carnot groups and I’m interested in their metric structure when equipped with a sub-Riemannian path metric. There are many different aspects one could investigate, but so far I have looked at Holder maps and Lipschitz homotopy groups.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2014-Present
- UCLA, B.S. in Mathematics, Class of 2014
- Northgate High School, Class of 2010
- Foothill Middle School, Class of 2006
- Bancroft Elementary School, Class of 2003
Distinctions / Awards
- GAAAN Fellowship, Jan. 2016-Present
- Paul Daus Memorial Award (for outstanding achievement in math by an undergraduate), June 2014
- Summa cum laude, June 2014
- Highest honors in mathematics, June 2014
- College honors, June 2014